Thursday, January 28, 2010

Starvation, Party of 1

Living on your own presents a unique set of challenges: budgeting, cleaning and worst of all cooking. I’m honest with myself. My cooking skills are elementary at best. I boil water. I toast. I microwave things. If it involves chopping, simmering or braising, I’m useless. Side note…what is braising?!?

I received a grill for Christmas last year. I thought it was simple enough to operate – open, insert food, close. This is what happened when I tried to grill chicken.



Luckily, I had a back-up plan.  Or, more accurately, my parents stocked my freezer with pre-made Trader Joe's meals.  To complement my 1/4 breast of chicken, which was all that I could salvage from the two breasts I started with, I made frozen gnocchis.  I'm not sure who Trader Joe is or what exactly he trades, but without him, I would starve.  Here is the finshed result:



It did not necessarily taste good, but I didn't die or burn anything down.  Success. 

Stay tuned for more misadventures in cooking.  And in the meantime, any suggestions for good take-out?

*Ashley

4 comments:

  1. Did you spray the grill with Pam? Also, the pasta looks a little dry (no offense) when I make that same one, I add about a tablespoon or so extra of water. Is there anything I can do to help?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok...I'll be your cooking mentor. Braising is basically cooking in a flavorful liquid, usually not totally submerged otherwise that is boiling. The braising is usually for a longer length of time and is intended to breaking down tougher cuts of meat by converting the collagen in the connective tissues into unctious gelatin. Things like baby back pork ribs, pork shoulder, beef brisket, etc. are all good for braising. You need to get a crock-pot and you'll have a foolproof set of recipes that you can set and forget.

    Cute blog!

    Kyle
    Getting Better and Better

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can totally help you with cooking. I'll send you some easy to make recipes this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I suggest you embrace who you are (not that you haven't, but just as an affirmation). Get a stack of take-out menus, your favorite frozen foods, and learn a few very simple meals. My suggested simple meals: bean and cheese burritos (refried beans, pre-grated cheese, and burrito shells - just a little heating of the beans and cheese and then whatever fixin's you want), easy chicken recipes (mine is: 2 chicken legs in a pan, about 1 inch of vinegar, salt, pepper, and lemon -cook at 375 for 1 hr - 1 1/2 hrs), and salad. There. Problem solved. You're welcome.

    ReplyDelete